Single Parenting Legal Issues

The military has its own laws. Legal support, custody and visitation rights are dealt with in a military court to determine a member’s rights and obligations.

Military single parents and child legal support

Child legal support is based on a different formula where pay includes certain allowances that are added to the child legal support formula. When the non-custodial parent doesn’t pay child support, the penalties are different for military single parents then for civilians. Single parents in the military are fortunate as they can decide who will have custody of the children during their absence. A substitute custodial parent can be a parent, a grandmother or grandfather, a friend, or even a neighbor. A single parent in the military has options on how to stay in contact while he or she is being deployed.

Determining pay for a single parent in the military

The first thing to determine is how much a military service member makes. This takes into account base pay, housing and food allowances, flight pay, submarine pay, sea duty pay, and more. Once you have a figure, add all income to determine an annual income. Work out gross monthly income by dividing by 12. With that amount, apply the Attorney General Tax Chart. Civilian single parents face all the same obstacles as single parents in the military, such as child legal issues, visitation, child custody agreements, divorce mediation, and the frustration of collecting back child support.

Other legal issues regarding child support

A single mom can apply for a Pell grant which can provide financial aid up to $5,500 towards furthering her studies and obtaining a degree. If the other parent absconds, she can find a lawyer for child support and use the Federal Parent Locator Service to locate a child who has been hidden from the non-custodial parent. A court can garnishee the wages of the parent supposed to pay support, and even take a tax return refund to pay back support.

Getting your child back in an international custody dispute

  1. Get a lawyer from Arnold Wadsworth & Coggins Law Office and seek relief under the Uniform Child Abduction Prevention Act (UCCJA). If there is a child custody order in place and your child is removed from the United States, the UCCJA may be the best way to go. The family law attorney you retain should be well versed with international child custody law.
  2. Try to locate the child. If the process is successful and the child is located, do whatever you can to strengthen the bond between you and try to negotiate a voluntary return.
  3. This may be a lengthy process. You should prepare yourself for a possible move to the foreign jurisdiction until the matter is resolved.